Mounie Castle is a good example of
a Laird's house. It was small fortalice
of the Setons originally constructed in the mid 16th century, it was restored in 1898.
Mounie was a property of the Setons, but was sold
to the Farquhars in 1634. Thereafter, it was passed on to the Hays
of Arnbath in 1701. It was later recovered by a branch of the
Setons of Pitmedden, who later sold it in 1970.
The Setons of Mounie originated through the
foreseeing alienation of Church lands on the eve of the
Reformation. In 1556, the Chancellor of Aberdeen, Alexander Seton, had
several of the holdings now comprised in the estate of Mounie in
possession, and his brother William, the laird of Meldrum, got
the rest. Upon resignation, in 1575, the whole were granted by
the Bishop to William's second son, John Seton of Lumphart and
thereafter John Seton of Mounie. His line is extinct, and the
estate is now possessed by a descendant of his half brother,
James, the first Seton of Pitmedden, whose family are the only
Setons now in Aberdeenshire.
The building conforms to
the T-plan with a long main block of three storeys running N to S, and a
circular stair tower projecting westwards midway along the W front.
Unfortunately the original crenellated parapet is now gone and
the roofline now meets the walling. The walling itself,
no longer exposed stonework is now harled and plain and roughcast and the gables crowstepped. The modern wing,
attached to the SW, is actually a separate building extending from the NE. A rectangular dovecot dated 1694 at Mounie was
restored by Sir Robert Lorimer as a garden house in 1898, although no dovecot
The castle is private.