A Description of Udny

Udny, a village and a parish of Aberdeenshire. The village stands 283 feet above sea-level and 2¼ miles NW of Udny station on the Formartine and Buchan section (1861) of the Great North of Scotland railway, this being 5 miles SSW of Ellon, 8¼ N by E of Dyce Junction, and 14½ NNW of Aberdeen, under which there is a post and railway telegraph office. There is also a branch (1875) of the Aberdeen Town and County Bank; the Formartine Agricultural Association (1829) holds an annual show of live-stock at the Green of Udny; and horse, cattle, and sheep markets are held at Udny station on the last Thursday of every month. The parish, formed in 1597 out of portions of Ellon, Tarves, Logie-Buchan, and Foveran, is bounded N by Tarves, E by Ellon, Logie-Buchan, Foveran, and Belhelvie, S by New Machar, SW by Fintray, the Banffshire (detached) section of New Machar and Keithhall, and NW by Bourtie and Tarves. Its utmost length, from N by E to S by W, is 65/8 miles; its breadth varies between 1¼ and 65/8 miles; and its area is 18 square miles or 11,5547/8 acres, of which only 6½ are water. Streams there are none of any size; but the drainage is carried eastward and north-eastward to the Ythan by four or five little rivulets. In the N, at the Mill of Dumbreck, the surface declines to 83 feet above sea-level; and thence it rises very gently to 309 feet at Newseat, 310 at West Coullie, and 620 at the Changehill on the south-western border. Granite, of a pale greyish hue, has been largely quarried; and an inferior limestone was at one time worked. The soil, in most parts a deep loam incumbent on granite or clay, is here and there naturally marshy, but has been greatly improved by draining. About one-fifteenth is either pastoral or waste; nearly one-thirtieth is under wood; and almost all the remainder is in tillage. Udny Castle, 3 furlongs NNE of the village, is a massive three-storied tower, 46 feet long, 35 broad, and 71 high, with walls 9 feet in thickness. It is supposed to have been founded about the beginning of the 14th century; but a large and handsome addition has been made by the present proprietor, John Henry Fullarton Udny, Esq. (b. 1853; suc. 1861), the descendant of a long line of lairds, who holds 9225 acres in the shire, valued at £9041, 7s. per annum. The mansions of Pitmedden and Pittrichie are noticed separately; and, in all, 10 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 6 of between £100 and £500. Udny is in the presbytery of Ellon and the synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £360. The parish church, built in 1821, contains 750 sittings. There is also a Free church; and two public schools, Pitmedden and Udny Green, with respective accommodation for 125 and 185 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 110 and 81, and grants of £102, 19s. and £67, 18s. Valuation (1860) £10,063, (1885) £13,840, 16s. 11d., plus £998 for railway. Pop. (1801) 1242, (1831) 1309, (1861) 1668, (1871) 1663, (1881) 1638.—Ord. Sur., shs. 77, 87, 1873-76.

(Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1882-4))

Kings and Queens of the United Kingdom (from 1603)

Picture of Buckingham Palace

The Portrait Gallery
more >

The Memorabilia Gallery
more >
Historic Scotland
The National Trust for Scotland
National Museums of Scotland  
Text Only News Media Centre How Do I...? Freedom of Information Children Recruitment Francais Gàidhlig
Contact us Search Site map Links Subscribe Copyright About this site
    Udny Castle History
    Description of Udny
    Udny Castle Gallery
        The Estate
        The Interior
     Ariel Photos
     William Seton of Udny