The lands of Aquhorthies were leased by John Seton
(later of Menie),
son of William of Blair, in the early 17th century.
John Seton of Aquhorthies was
Seton, 4th of Meldrum, and
the lands and farm of Aquhorthies through his father's assistance.
He leased the house of Aquhorthies from the Leslie's of Balquain
and which was his private residence
when he was not stationed as Chamberlain to the Earl of
Dunfermline at Fyvie Castle. He married Helen
Leith, daughter of John Leith 2nd of Harthill (d. 1625) and Helen
Auchinleck, and had several children. He is remembered in
the family papers of the Skene's of Rubislaw:
"Letter from John Seton to Laird of
Tibertis (Tipperty) sending wood to aid cure for the gravel for
his cousin John Skene's wife, dated at Auchquhorty, 17 June 1638".
From John Seton descend many Seaton's in Ulster, Ireland, and the