The Aquhorthies Monstrance, Aberdeenshire
This monstrance dates from 1798 and was made in Sheffield. It is used to display to Roman Catholic worshippers, the circular wafer which has been blessed, and therefore represents the body of Christ. Made of silver plate, the central display section, which is gilded inside, is surrounded by a sunburst, and surmounted by a crucifix. The monstrance is inscribed on the base with the name of the donors and of the recipient. It was presented to Bishop George Hay to commemorate the opening of a college to train boys for the priesthood at Aquhorthies, Aberdeenshire. The monstrance was used at Aquhorthies until the college closed in 1829, and transferred to the new St Mary's College, Blairs.