The Aquhorthies Chalice, Aberdeenshire
This chalice belonged to Bishop George Hay (1729 -1811), who founded a college at Aquhorthies, Aberdeenshire in 1799, for training boys for the priesthood. The chalice is made of silver; the cup has a gilt lining. At the front of the base, the chalice is engraved with a cross on a mound. Inside the base an inscription reads: 'HB G:Ep. .Danlien 1792'. George Hay converted to Catholicism after the 1745-6 Jacobite rising. He became bishop of Daulia and for the Lowland District of Scotland in 1769 and died at Aquhorthies.