History Today Visiting

Gargunnock House, Stirlingshire.
Gargunnock House, former residence of Sir Alexander Seton, Lord Kilcreuch

In 1470 the lands of Gargunnock were owned by Alexander Hepburn, but by 1513 the lands had passed to two owners, Alexander Elphinstone and Ninian Seton. However, the "lands of Gargunnock" were held throughout the early 16th Century by the Elphinstones, according to the Directory of Retours. The Seton Family held the lands for a little over a hundred years.

The first reference to the association of the Setons of Touch with the lands of Gargunnock was on
22 February 1511/12 when Sir Alexander Seton of Tullibody and Touch Fraser, second of Touch, had a confirmation under the Privy Seal of that date of a charter by Sir Robert Colville of Ochiltree, granting him five mercates of the lands of old extent of Gargunnock, together with the tower, fortalice and mansionhouse, lying in the Sheriffdom of Stirling.

The next reference is in 1530/31 when a "natural son" of Sir Alexander Seton of Touch is styled "John Seytoun of Gargunnock", and a precept of legitimation was issued in his favour.It is certain that it was this John Seton who married Janet Turnbull, one of the two co-heiresses of Gargunnock. On 23 November 1515 they had a charter under the Great Seal; 'in conjunct fee, "of the fourth part of the lands and mill of Gargunnock" and other lands, which had been resigned by Janet Turnbull. They were, in later charters, styled "portioners of Gargunnock", and from them descended the first Setons'
of Gargunnock line.

Sir Alexander Seton of Gargunnock, Lord Kilcreuch, also acquired Culcreuch Castle in 1624 in settlement of monies owed him by his brother-in-law, Robert Galbraith, 17th Chief of that Clan who was forced to flee to Ireland, bankrupt, to escape his debts. Later the same year, he was appointed a judge and took the title Lord Kilcreuch. Soon his successful career necessitated selling the estate to be nearer Edinburgh and in 1632, eight years after purchasing Culcreuch, he sold Culcreuch out to Robert Napier.  In 1634 the Gargunnock Estate is said to have been granted to the Earl of Mar and, in around 1675, passed to Sir James Campbell, 11th Laird of Ardkinglas, through marriage to Margaret of Gargunnock. 

Kings and Queens of the United Kingdom (from 1603)
Next section

The Royal Collection

The Portrait Gallery
more >

The Memorabilia Gallery,
more >
Historic Scotland
The National Trust for Scotland
National Museums of Scotland
Text Only News Media Centre How Do I...? Freedom of Information Children Recruitment Francais Gàidhlig
Contact us Search Site map Links Subscribe Copyright About this site
     Gargunnock History
    Gargunnock Gallery
         The Estate
         Old Photos
         The Interior
     The Parish
     Gargunnock Village
     Modern Gargunnock
     Gargunnock Gardens