Whittinghame Tower and Nunraw near Garvald, on a rough grassy ridge beside the
Pappana water stands the rose colored ruin of
Stoneypath Tower. Originally held by several great Scots families of
note, the Dunbars, the Douglases on two occasions, the Lyles, the Hamiltons and
eventually the Setons.
Stoneypath Tower, although in the parish of
Whittingehame, stands on the verge of Garvald parish near Haddington, on a high
perpendicular freestone cliff, below which the Papana runs.
late 1548 Stoneypath and several other towers were retaken by the Hamiltons
under the Earl of Arran and 'assured Scots'
such as Cockburn of Ormiston and Douglas of
Longniddry had their homes slighted for their collaboration,
although it's unclear
whether or not Whittinghame
Tower was slighted at this time.
1611 George Lyle resigned Stoneypath to Alexander Hamilton of
Castle near Dunbar.
By 1616 it had been passed to Archibald Douglas of
Whittinghame, and eventually
it passed on
to the Seton's, to Sir William Seton of Kyllismuir, and thence to the Seton Viscounts of
Kingston with the Whittingehame dowry.