"The Church at Dalgetty with its appurtenances"
was first mentioned in a Papal document dated 11 March
1178. A rebuild of the original church was consecrated
in 1244 by David de Bernham, the Bishop of St. Andrews
and dedicated to St Bridget, the Saint Brigit or Brigid
of Kildare in Ireland, who lived from 451 to 525.
The village and estate of Dalgety stood at the eastern
edge at the head of the coastal bay in Fife, but the
ivy-clad ruins of the church, or Kirk, are all that
The lands and estate of Dalgety were acquired by
Alexander Seton, 1st Earl of Dunfermline during his
tenure at Dunfermline, and his private cottage-residence
was at the former house of "Dalgety Lodge". Like the
original town, unfortunately it and it's gardens are now
long gone. The estate was the tradition family burial
grounds until James Seton, 4th Earl of Dunfermline was
attainted and the estate was forfeit in 1692.