Although the patron Saint of the Seton Family has always been St.
Benedict (called St. Bennett's in war-cry) the
Seton Church was dedicated in
the names of St. Mary and the Holy Cross, and was begun in the
thirteenth century. In 1390, a south aisle was built by
Catherine Sinclair, widow of William, the First Lord Seton and
slightly added to by John, 2nd Lord Seton.
Church was created a Collegiate Church on 20 June 1493 by George
3rd Lord Seton, and additions were made by George, 4th
Lord Seton, as well as George 5th Lord Seton and his Lady Janet Seton (Hepburn) who generously
endowed the Church.
In 1544 it was damaged during the English invasion of the Earl of Hertford,
and in 1580, the Church was
united with Tranent under George 7th Lord Seton and was well patronised until 1715, when it was
entered by the Lothian Militia, and incited that Lord
Winton was a Jacobite, the Militia defaced the interior and
demolished the tombs, the remains of those actions being apparent
Although preserved by the Earl of
Wemyss during their ownership following the Seton forfeiture,
the interior was repaved by them and many of the important Seton
monuments were buried under the new floor. What is
presented today, are remains of the Seton memorials, and
fragments of grand oriel window of the entrance block that was
demolished in the raids of 1715.