‘Alexander, Lord Seton, built this house in
1613, not as he would have wished, but according to the measure
of his means and estate’.
The oldest part of Pinkie
House is the massive central tower erected by the Abbots of Dunfermline,
in the late fourteenth century. A hundred years later were added the
rooms immediately to the north, what is now the
Around 1597 the building came into the hands
of Alexander Seton, King James VI’s Chancellor, a man of considerable
distinction who was held in such high esteem by the King that when
he left for London in 1603 to add the throne of England to that of Scotland, he
entrusted his son Charles into Seton’s charge, later to become King
Charles, during his three years’ there, occupied what is still called ‘the King’s Room’.