The lands of Menie were leased and acquired by John Seton,
Chamberlain to the Earl of Dunfermline at Fyvie Castle in the early 17th century
from the Gordon's,
following to his residence at Aquhorthies.
That John Seton, Chamberlain of Fyvie, was
in possesion in 1622 is confirmed by the funeral account of the
Earl of Dunfermline, Chancellor Seton, in 1622 where he is listed
as, "John Seaton of Menies Chamberland of Fyvie".
With interests in Belhelvie, the Seton's maintained tenure at
Menie across various branches of the Meldrum family.
In 1629, Gordon sold the lands and barony of Menie to
William Seton of Mounie and Udny. Seton held them until his creditor,
Graham of Morphie, his son's father-in-law, was granted them in 1633.
Seton and his wife Margaret Graham stayed on at Menie despite
his father losing the estate and
was styled as "William Seton of Meanie" thereafter
nevertheless, as was his son, also William Seton, 2nd "of Menie".
William Seton, 2nd of Menie's son James Seton re-acquired
possession of Menie
in 1698, but died without issue in 1707, when the house passed
from the family and the line was then
represented by Captain Robert Seton who was the eldest son of
Alexander Seton of Kinloch in Aberdeenshire, the second son of
William Seton of Udny.